Auro 261 Satin Natural Varnish
Low VOC & Toy Safe Varnish (Satin)
Auro 261 is a natural wood varnish for interior wood and wood based products. It gives a beautiful clear Satin finish with slight honey tone to furniture, toys and other interior wooden products.
This water based non toxic varnish is specially formulated to minimise VOC emissions without compromising on performance. It provides a beautiful, hardwearing finish with none of the harsh smells of conventional varnishes.
The low voc varnish dries clear, although has a milky appearance when applied. We recommend that you use Auro 127 Natural Wood Primer or Auro 117 Special Woods Primer (depending on the wood type) as this varnish needs a primer for correct finish. You can also dilute Auro 261 with a maximum of 20% water for a primer too for woods that are not rich in active substances - see technical data sheet below. When any kind of varnish is applied to wood it can affect the final colour due to absorbtion and other factors and using a varnish will help mitigate this.
Application is easy with either brush, roller or even spray. The final finish, when correctly applied, has a wipability abrasion class of 1 (the best) and will be scrub resistant.
- Manufactured from natural minerals and materials. Auro Raw Material Guide (opens in new tab)
- Suitable for interior wood and wood based materials (not floors see Auro 267 Natural Floor Varnish)
- Low odour
- Solvent free
- Very low VOC content, <10g/Litre
- Certified as safe for toys (DIN EN 71 Part 3)
- Saliva and Sweat proof (DIN 53160)
- Wipeability: Abrasion Class 1 (EN13300)
- Colourless with a slight honey shade.
- Provides a Satin finish (for a Gloss finish see Auro 251 Clear Natural Varnish).
- Water thinnable
- Brush, Roller or Spray application
- Coverage of approximately 13 sqm per litre (at least 2 coats generally required)
- Colophony glycerol ester with organic acids*
- Linseed oil*
- Sunflower oil*
- Mineral fillers
- Drying agents (cobalt-free)
- Castor oil*
- Surfactants made of rapeseed and castor oil
- Fatty acids
*as ammonium soap
Drying time: Touch dry after approx 10 hours. Recoatable after approx 24 hours. Final hardness achieved after approx 5 days.
Approx coverage: 0.375 Litre = 5m², 0.75 Litre = 10m², 2.5 Litre = 31m²
Please note: This product is not suitable for floors or wood that comes into contact with the soil. It is for interior use only.
Natural products are neither odourless nor emission-free. The use of organic, natural and plant based ingredients means that allergy and asthma sufferers and people who are chemically sensitive are much more able to tolerate Auro products, however they may cause allergic reactions in some. If you wish to know about what raw ingredients Auro use in their products please visit our Auro Raw Materials Guide.
In German. All open in a new tab.
- Toy Safety Certification
- AgBB Certification (a German evaluation scheme for VOC emission from construction products)
- Brush out excess after use then wash out with Auro 411 Natural Brush Cleaner.
You may also need Brushes or Rollers, Masking Tape and Paint Trays - see our Painting Accessories page.
See the 261 Technical Datasheet for full details, however in brief:
- Make sure the substrate surface is clean and sound.
- Prime wood with 1 or 2 coats of Auro Primer. Either Auro 127 Natural Wood Primer, Auro 117 Special Woods Primer or Auro 261 Diluted with max 20% water (dpending on the type of wood).
- Apply 2 coats of undiluted Auro 261.
- Sand in between coats with a fine sandpaper (220 grit size). Remove dust.
Maintenance and Care
- Either clean surfaces with lukewarm water or use Auro 435 Natural Sugar Soap.
- Do not use any caustic substances (e.g. ammonium chloride solutions, soapy water) or abrasive cleaning agents or microfibre cloths.
Customers also viewed
£28.00 (inc VAT) £23.33 (ex VAT)
£25.99 (inc VAT) £21.66 (ex VAT)
£20.50 (inc VAT) £17.08 (ex VAT)
£25.99 (inc VAT) £21.66 (ex VAT)