Hemp Shiv, 180 Litre Bale
Hemp shiv is the chopped up, woody core of the hemp plant. When mixed with a lime binder, it becomes a composite building material known as hempcrete. The lime binder can be Hydrated lime (with pozzolans added to speed up the hardening process) or a strongly Hydraulic lime.
We supply hemp shiv in 2 different sizes. a medium cut shiv (22mm) which is suitable for Wall and floor construction and a fine cut shiv (3mm) which is suitable for render and similar coatings.
A bale of the 22mm Shiv weighs 19KG, A bale of the 3mm Shiv weighs 24kg
Environmental benefits of Hemp and Hempcrete.
- Hemp can be easily grown without the use of pesticides
- Low amounts of energy used in the production of Hemp Shiv.
- A Large amount of carbon dioxide is locked up in Hempcrete buildings.
- Hempcrete is breathable, so helps to control moisture and condensation
- Resistant to rodents, insects, fungi and bacteria
- Flexible and crack resistant
- Visually attractive - any shape can be formed with Hempcrete.
- Sustainable production – Fast growing, Hemp crop is grown annually.
- Chemical Free
- Helps to keep internal humidity levels within the 40-60% range which inhibits the growth of viruses and bacteria
Uses for Hempcrete
Newbuild: Using shuttering, Hempcrete can be cast in situ to create walls of various thicknesses and shapes. Hempcrete is self-supporting, but not a load bearing product so it is usually formed around a softwood timber frame. Hempcrete can also be precast offsite to form Blocks or panels. Hempcrete can be used in the construction of floors and roofs, adding a breathable, insulated layer.
Restoration projects: In old buildings, Hempcrete can be used to replace damaged or missing infill. It can also be used internally to add an insulated but breathable render to stone walls.
Find Similar Products by Category
Customers also viewed
£7.20 (inc VAT) £6.00 (ex VAT)
£14.50 (inc VAT) £12.08 (ex VAT)
£24.00 (inc VAT) £20.00 (ex VAT)
£35.00 (inc VAT) £29.17 (ex VAT)